Friday, June 12, 2015

Vintage travel poster inspiration

I made another Father's day card today to gear up for Father's day here next Sunday. A vintage travel poster was my inspiration for this card and I like nautical things myself too. But the thing that stood out to me was the colors of the poster. The oranges, teals, and navy blue make a stunning combo. I pinned this travel poster on my Colors board on my Pintrest page. To begin with I made a loose sketch of the poster but I simplified it.

This quick sketch doesn't do the original poster justice, but you get the idea. I was going to stitch a panel of vellum over this, but when I tried to things just went from bad to worse. In the end I had to tear apart the whole card and remake it because it got messed up so bad. But I guess that just makes new creative possibilities. I took my sheet of vellum and heat embossed Happy Father's Day in gold with Violet's ABC's stamp for my sentiment. That was a trick to make a comma since the set doesn't have one.
The vellum gives the effect of looking through a frosted window. To pull the whole card together I matted the sailboat on navy card stock and then put it on a white card base. I found some metal studs in my stash of embellishments to use. And I could hide my multi medium matte behind them and they look awesome too.. (My 19 month old son just came up and was kissing my elbow as I was trying to type.) Cards for guys are a little hard to embellish because you can't use girly thing for their cards and they do not like finding glitter on them later from handling a card you made for them.




Hope that you enjoy this vintage travel poster inspired Father's day card and that you will visit again to see more of my cards and art journal layouts. I greatly appreciate anyone that takes the time to leave me some feedback too. Thanks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment